Saturday, May 24, 2014

An Evil named Liberal

It was August 2013.. I had completed 3 years of my return after graduating from a New York based university. I had voluntarily decided to come back home even though many believed that I was forced to come back as I couldn't land up a job there.

I had almost completed 3 years into my job as well and having made a reasonably good progress within the organization I could never really feel happy about coming back to India.. That even though I desperately wanted to feel so. I have always liked to be in my own country, among my own people, discussing things that matter to me and my own people.. Yet I was exasperated. Left longing for a change.. What kind of change, I really wasn't sure.

Then I decided to take a plunge.. Deep within me. I found that the darkness that was pulling me back was really all about the nation , it's economy, poverty , lack of opportunity and the biggest evil among the mankind called 'corruption' .. Somehow even unknowingly the political affairs had set inside me a great displeasure.

Thankfully just then a 'sun' was rising on Indian political horizon who promised to change all of this. His name was Narendra Modi. Over next 8-9 months, he did exactly what he was known to do and what was needed of him. He connected with the masses, ignited a hope within them, provided them a glimpse of their bright future and won them over.. Quite literally so!

That brings us at a crossroad which I personally believe will lead India not just in the right direction but will also give it a sense of purpose.. Yet there are many within India, the people who profoundly call themselves 'liberals' (whatever that really means) who are opposed to very idea of Narendra Modi.

Much of India, which includes common habitants like myself, who voted for him know that the real worry of the country today is economic prosperity for lower as well as middle classes much less the religious divide. Religious feuds usually thrive in poor nations. The country who are alleviated from poverty automatically rid themselves of this so called 'secular trap'. The liberals however by virtue of being rich and well to do themselves have time enough to think and promote the notion among common people that they were wrong in their choice. The intelligentsia ( another jargon beyond me ) is obsessed with the idea that Modi will divide nation into pieces and think no more beyond it. Their future is not linked to the destiny of the nation and common people. They know very well that they are assured of a comfortable life whether it's congress or the BJP in power. Hence it's not a matter of existence for them but about displaying their wit by bringing forth a perspective that is not 'commonplace'. After all, that's what stimulates them in their life and not the thought that millions can earn a lot more than they do.

So that brings us to demystifying of this term called ' liberals'.. To me this is a group who has constant insatiable urge of being called 'different'.. It rarely matters to them whether that 'different' is what the nation needs as long as it fulfils their desire of putting forth a perspective that satisfies their snobbish intelligence. So they go on, abusing the democratic right of 'freedom of expression' to such an extent that it makes a common man feel sick to their guts why such right even exists.. For many it leads to call for an autocratic government who will suppress these seemingly anti- national voices till they choke for their existence. Are such calls extremists? Off course they are ! But so are these relatively smaller and wealthier groups called 'liberals' who prefer to put their own interests way ahead of national interest, knowingly and willfully!

Alas, it's not possible to suppress these voices by force as they represent the same democracy which has empowered us today to elect a person who represents our common aspiration to grow.  We however need to resolutely ignore these cries till they become redundant or even change themselves!

Liberals may well be suited for developed economies where their views may not affect millions of poor people's existence. But they are the last thing this nation requires at the juncture we are ! As the nation marches ahead they will then run for shelter or even run away to the places where they can exhibit this unwanted talent they possess !

1 comment:

  1. Very Well articulated scenario of Indian socio - Political today and the way forward. I second the opinion that an Autocratic fidelity by leadership of the nation is need of an hour , when society , group of people ,regions are thriving on guarding their interest over national interest and integrity.

    A Leadership by Autocracy would certainly help the society , regions to look into one direction , where today vision is scattered and divided within regions , social groups and individuals.

    This would further put forward and strengthen the image of united Indian society lead by represented by leadership on a global platform to a large extent.

    United society always progress with a faster pace.

    And Its one nation and one voice for the the world....

    ReplyDelete